UNESCO Chair in Civic Education and Multicultural Studies (2000 - 2016)
UNESCO Chair in Civic Education and Multicultural Studies was established at the Jaan Tõnisson Institute in January 2000.
The aim of the Chair was to promote effectiveness of Civic Education in the compulsory education system of Estonia through supporting the process of integration of non-Estonians into the society, connecting Estonia into the European structures and society, strenghthening civil society in Estonia. For those purposes the Chair provided in-service trainings, conducted research, implemented projects, published materials.
Establishing the UNESCO Chair was prepared during 3 years by the activities of the Civic Education Centre on the fields of Civic Education and Multiculturalism.
During the years the Chair arranged and provided folloving activities:
- Participation in the development of Multicultural Curriculum for Israeli and Georgian Universities (2012 - 2014)
- Survey of the integration into the Estonian society of the immigrants with higher education/scientific degree (2010 - 2013)
- Participation in the development of Problem-Based-Learning Handbook (2010 - 2011)
- Survey of Estonian and Russian medium schools Young People's Values (2010 - 2011)
- Participation in the Research Project "Young Peoples' Construction of Identities in the Early 21st Century" (2010)
- Participation in development of the "Handbook of Political Education Discovering Europe" (2009 - 2010)
- Comparative study about the youth values in five countries. (2009)
- Research "Rural Consumers and Consumer Education in Estonia" (2005)
- "Roma in Public Education in Estonia. EUMC – Raxen 5, Tallinn" (2004)
- Research "Multiculturalism of Estonian Society - Qualitative assessment" (2003)
- "Education for All" Estonian National Action Plan (2002)
- Conceptual paper "Analysing and Influencing Policies" (2002)
- Survey of Estonian Civics Teachers (2002)
- Conceptual paper "Multicultural school" (2000 - 2001)
- Research "Conceptual Changes in Civics Syllabus" (2000)
- Conference "Though Civic Education towards a Multicultural Society" (1999)
UNESCO Chair that cooperated with several international partners like Civitas International, Indiana University, Civic Education Centre (Calabasas, USA) etc. was closed in 2016.
former UNESCO Chair Executive
+372 55 514 332